You know how they say your 20s are for finding yourself and all that cliché stuff? Well, they were right. As much as I love being a 20-something-year-old, I will say I’ve learned some pretty significant things along the way, even it does have to do with cocktail choices. A lesson is a lesson, right? Cool. Glad we got that squared away.
1. Find your spark. Whether you consider yourself a pro at coordinating cocktail parties for your best girl friends or you’re an avid painter, find something you’re passionate about and go after it.
2. Be picky with your food, your friends and your love life. Don’t settle for friends that treat you poorly and ‘boys’ that treat you like you’re just an option.
3. Those gel mani’s you get every two weeks, will be addictive and your bank account will hate you. I’m also looking at you, Starbuck’s grande iced cold brews. I will get to you later.
4. You’ll feel confused about where you’re at in life, but don’t let that get the best of you. Whether you’re single or married; newly promoted or just starting an internship, don’t let others situations rule your own. Be grateful where you are in all your moments.
5. Wash your face before bed. I might not be the best at this, but hey I’m trying. Make sure you have a skincare regimen and you actually use it. That every other day face wash isn’t cutting it.
6. Being indecisive can actually be a good thing. I like to say I’m just weighing all my options – that’s definitely a much better way of wording it. If I wasn’t picky about my cocktail-of-choice, I would never have given those French 75s a try…or two. Thank you, indecisiveness.
7. Saying no is cool. Just don’t feel like hitting up downtown with friends? Don’t feel obligated to say yes. Sometimes a night-in complete with sweatpants, no makeup and Olivia Pope is just what you need to feel energized.
8. Staying in touch is difficult, but usually the hardest things are the best. I’m guilty of losing touch with friends; forgetting to text, forgetting to call on birthdays (ugh) or not feeling like you’re doing your best at being a friend. We’ve all been there and it’s certainly not the best feeling. I must say, a quick text can easily make your friends day. Stay in touch, even the little moment’s count for something.
9. QT with yourself should be a #1 priority. Make time to give yourself a breather from life. Hint: PJS and Netflix definitely counts as QT with yourself.
10. Life moves fast. Sometimes you really have to remember to take in every fleeting moment before it’s too late.